World Car Free Day

22nd September 2020

Intro

For some, going without a car for a day might be quite easy for others this may not be possible.

If you live within close proximity to your frequently visited locations such as work/shops/school etc. you may be able to walk, cycle or get the bus/train. If you live quite rural however and not within close proximity of a train/bus station this might be quite difficult. If you are in this situation you still have a couple of options to reduce emissions such as: carpooling and purchasing an EV.

I believe that World Car Free Day should be to create awareness of the unnecessary pollution caused by the inefficient combustion engines that many of us use from a day to day basis.

While some of us may not be aware of the extent of these inefficiencies and the amount of pollution they produce, others might be aware but are unable to afford the upfront costs of the alternative options such as electric and hydrogen vehicles.

Did you know?

-The transport sector is responsible for 23% of global emissions and

urban transport is the single greatest source.

-Between engine heat loss, wind and rolling resistance, braking, idling and other drags on performance, only 21% of a petrol cars energy propels it forward on average. Of the resulting force, 95% moves the car, not the driver. In essence, most of the energy used by a car is waste: it moves thousands of pounds of steel, glass, copper and plastic in order to move a human being.

 

-Two thirds of the worlds oil consumption is used for cars and trucks.

-On average 75 to 80 percent of the energy generated by an internal combustion engine is wasted in heat!

-One bus can take up to 50 cars off the road... think of that next time you are stuck behind one or find yourself in a traffic jam.

-In 2015, the Oxford English Dictionary added ride-share to its pages. Ridesharing is the act of filling empty seats by pairing drivers and riders who share common origins, destinations, or stops en route. When trips are pooled, people split costs, ease traffic, and lighten the load on infrastructure, while curtailing emissions per person. Learn more about carpooling.

-Electric cars whether powered by the grid or renewables are about 60% efficient compared to gasoline powered vehicles which are only about 15% efficient.

-On average only 21% of the fuel burned by a petrol car actually propels it forwards! This means the remaining 79% of the energy produced is wasted, producing unnecessary CO2 emissions. 

Source: 'Drawdown' the most comprehensive plan ever proposed to reverse global warming.

EVs

Electric Vehicles

vs

ICE

Internal Combustion Engines

Conclusion

As the global pandemic 'COVID-19' has shown us, we can all cut down on our travel time and distances dramatically and still survive, in fact... if we wish for future generations to survive on this planet then it is essential. Transport uses huge amounts of polluting energy and until we can successfully phase out the inefficient, dirty, old fashioned combustion engines, we need to cut down on how much we travel and rethink whether or not each trip is necessary. If you can work from home, great! Keep working from home! If you can walk, bus or train to your destination, great! If you can afford the upfront costs of an Electric Vehicle then get one! You will save a fortune in the long run and you will lower your emissions substantially!

 

If you are unable to afford the upfront costs of an EV, thats okay! Your not alone. The bulk cost of an EV comes from the cost of the battery and you'll be happy to know that the costs of battery energy storage have come down in price substantially in the past decade and is expected to continue to decline. 

Not only that, as demand increases for EVs  and production increases the cost should come down naturally.